BrainReference is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
We aim to provide consumers with helpful, in-depth information about brain health products. Whether we make money or not on a certain page does not influence the core mission of our writers and medical reviewers, which is to publish content that is accurate and informative.
All product names, logos, and brands are the property of their respective owners.
Prevagen Review – 14 Things You Need To Know
There are very few supplements out there that get as much attention as memory and brain supplements, and Prevagen is one of those. According to the official website, this brain supplement is “the top-selling memory supplement in stores” across the United States. And all that with just one active ingredient: apoaequorin.
Apoaequorin is a patented ingredient claimed to improve memory function in those with very mild cognitive decline. That being said, Prevagen should not be confused with a prescription cognitive aid.
Our team of researchers presented us with all the information they found about the formula’s patented ingredient, claimed benefits, potential side effects and warnings, scientific studies on the product, price, and more. We’ve compiled their findings here for you today.
1) What Is Prevagen?
Prevagen is a dietary supplement claimed to improve brain and memory health. The company behind is Quincy Bioscience. Their patented formula contains apoaequorin; a protein from jellyfish. According to Quincy Bioscience, this protein may improve memory, offer support for healthy brain functioning, sharpens the mind, supports clearer thinking, and helps with mild memory problems associated with aging. Apoaequorin is also claimed to improve short-term memory problems and reduces excess calcium levels in the brain.
Apoaequorin has the unique property to facilitate the binding of calcium ions, which is essential given the essential role of this mineral in many bodily processes and functions.
It is well known how our brains protect their cells from degradation by generating a unique protein that controls cellular calcium. If calcium exceeds a certain limit in cells, these cells will be damaged and even destroyed.
Because of the natural aging process, the body generates this protein in smaller amounts, which eventually will lead to increased levels of calcium in cells.
2) Who Makes Prevagen?
Quincy Bioscience is a biotechnology company based in Madison, Wisconsin, that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialization of novel technologies to support cognitive function and other normal health challenges associated with aging.
726 Heartland Trail
Madison, WI 53717
3) Prevagen Ingredients
The only active ingredient in this formula is:
- Apoaequorin (10 mg per capsule)
Other ingredients are:
- Microcrystalline cellulose
- Vegetable capsule (cellulose, water)
- Acacia (gum arabic)
- Casein Peptones
- Corn starch
- Magnesium stearate (vegetable source)
- Medium chain triglycerides (vegetable oil)
- Tricalcium phosphate
Contains: Milk, soy, tree nuts (coconut) derived ingredients.
Apoaequorin was obtained in 1962 from a specific type of jellyfish that glows. When the protein is exposed to calcium, apoaequorin and calcium bind and a blue light is created.
Over the past 40 years, apoaequorin has been used to study how calcium works inside cells. Starting with 2007 apoaequorin has been manufactured on a larger scale for use in this dietary supplement, which is now available worldwide.
4) Prevagen – Does It Work?
The official website links to four different studies in order to support the company’s claims regarding this product. First, is the “Madison Memory Study – A Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Apoaequorin in Community-Dwelling, Older Adults,” a clinical trial sponsored by Quincy Bioscience.
The other three are safety studies and have been conducted on the core ingredient, apoaequorin:
- “Safety assessment of Apoaequorin, a protein preparation: subchronic toxicity study in rats”
- “Safety assessment of the calcium-binding protein, apoaequorin, expressed by Escherichia coli.”
- “Subchronic toxicity of lyophilized apoaequorin protein powder in Sprague-Dawley rats.”
Note that none of the three safety studies from above have been conducted on humans.
According to WebMD, “early research shows that taking 10 mg of apoaequorin(Quincy Bioscience) daily for 90 days might improve some measures of mental function in older adults, forgetfulness, word recall, and the need for reminders in some people. But, this research is of lower quality.”
On the other hand, according to the journal Advances in Mind-Body Medicine, “apoaequorin and improvements on a quantitative measure of cognitive function.” The research went on to state the ingredient is “well-tolerated,” and addresses decline in cognitive function.
5) Prevagen Claims
Most claimed benefits are:
- Improves memory
- Supports healthy brain function
- Sharpens the mind
- Supports clearer thinking
- Helps with mild memory problems associated with aging.
6) Prevagen Side Effects
The official website states that “the formula is very safe and extremely well-tolerated. There are no known contraindications with any supplements or medications.” No current clinical data shows the active ingredient apoaequorin causes side effects. The only remarks of side effects are in some Prevagen reviews.
Some people who have taken apoaequorin have reported the following side effects:
- Difficulty sleeping
7) What You Need To Know Before Taking Prevagen
Product warnings list it’s very similar to what you should expect from a dietary supplement.
- Do not use if you are under 18 years of age.
- Consult your doctor before using the supplement if you suffer from any medical condition or have a family history of any medical conditions.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
- Immediately discontinue use if you experience any unusual or abnormal side effects.
- Consult your doctor if you use any other medical prescription or over-the-counter drug.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
- Do not use if the seal is broken or tampered with.
- Do not use if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
8) Is Prevagen a Scam?
So are there any Prevagen lawsuits? While there’s research supporting the effectiveness of apoaequorin, there’s also information contrary to the research.
It is also worth mentioning that, according to the FDA, “apoaequorin is no longer extracted from the jellyfish, rather rapidly dividing host cells are ‘taught’ to grow the unique protein.” In other words, the core ingredient in this brain supplement it’s synthetic, although this is alluded to on the product’s FAQ page.
9) How Much Does Prevagen Cost?
The price varies based on the retailer you buy it from and based on the product variation. On the official website, the price for a bottle of Regular Strength is $39.95, for a bottle of Extra Strength is $59.95, and for a bottle of Professional Strength is $89.95.
You can get it for similar prices on Amazon, but with the added benefit of free shipping for orders placed from within the United States.
10) Where To Buy Prevagen?
This brain supplement available for purchase through the official Quincy Bioscience website. It can also be purchased from numerous retailers, including:
- The Vitamin Shoppe
- Botanic Choice
Additional retailers are listed on the supplement’s website.
11) Prevagen Alternatives?
There are many alternatives to this brain supplement.
Prevagen Extra Strength is a stronger (and more expensive) version of the original formula; usually described throughout many reviews online as an advanced “brain enhancement supplement.” Claimed benefits include:
- Promote Clearer Thinking
- Increase Mental Function
- Improve Overall Brain Health
Lumonol Wisdom is the newest brain supplement developed by Avanse Nutraceuticals. Lumonol Wisdom contains Noopept, a compound claiming to provide a variety of asserted benefits including:
- Increased memory capacity
- Improved memory recall
- Increased mental processing speed
- Improved ability to learn
- Enhanced mood
Focus Factor is a dietary supplement that claims to help enhance mental focus and clarity. Focus Factor ingredients include:
- Beta carotene
- Vitamins – B6, B12, D3
Alpha Brain can be another decent alternative to Quincy Bioscience’s formula. Alpha Brain is focused on improving memory, concentration, and energy. Alpha Brain ingredients include:
- Huperzine A
- Alpha GPC
12) How To Take Prevagen?
This supplement offers the best results when is taken daily. The recommended dose is one capsule or chewable tablet in the morning with or without food.
This dietary supplement is available in several variations:
- Regular Strength 30 Capsules – 10 mg apoaequorin per capsule
- Regular Strength 30 Chewables – 10 mg apoaequorin per tablet
- Extra Strength 30 Capsules – 20 mg apoaequorin per capsule
- Extra Strength 30 Chewables – 20 mg apoaequorin per tablet
- Regular Strength 60 Capsules – 10 mg apoaequorin per capsule
- Professional Strength 30 Capsules – 40 mg of apoaequorin per capsule
14) Prevagen – What Users Are Saying
“Purchased these as I am getting on in years, have been forgetting a lot lately and don’t want that to continue or get worse. I have an open mind and will give anything a try if I think it will help. I have not used these long enough to tell if they are working but I have times of quick thinking since taking them so I am encouraged. They are a nice size, easy to swallow. I will keep using this for at least 3 months and assess the results.”
— Marlene Louise
“I’m on my second bottle of Prevagen. I have noticed some memory improvement. I intend to continue using this product.”
— John Hume
“Seems to work because I have noticed gradual changes over a two week period. It’s worth a try given what can be gained.”
Prevagen is advertised as one of the leading brain supplements on the market to help with memory issues. There are even studies supporting the benefits of the active ingredient apoaequorin. Age, itself, has some influence on the human body’s decline and Prevagen may be useful in helping brain function but with the cited shortcomings.
The fact that Prevagen is one of the best selling brain supplements in the United States can’t be overlooked. While part of its success might be due to the aggressive marketing campaign Quincy Bioscience is using to push their product, Prevagen may still be a good solution for those looking for a decent brain supplement.
One of the Amino Acids [Blend] supplements we’ve come to trust the most is HCF Happy, Calm & Focused based on a unique FQ formula [15+ pure & effective associated neuro-nutrients] which research shows the ingredients may support memory, focus, attention, mood, and energy. People are reporting excellent results based on customer reviews we’ve seen and there is no mention of harmful side effects.
Prevagen - Frequently Asked Questions
The active ingredient in Prevagen is a protein obtained from Puget Sound jellyfish; apoaequorin. Other ingredients include microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable capsule (cellulose, water), sugar, acacia (gum arabic), casein peptones, corn starch, lactose, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), medium chain triglycerides (vegetable oil), salt, soy, peptones, DL-a-tocopherol, tricalcium phosphate, and water.
Developed by scientists and University researchers in Madison, Wisconsin, Prevagen (apoaequorin) is advertised as a protein-based brain health supplement claimed to augment proteins that support brain health, which are lost as a result of the aging process.
Quincy Bioscience claims the supplement is perfectly safe to use with no associated dangerous side effects. However, some users have experienced minor side effects such as headaches, dizziness, nausea, difficulty sleeping, and anxiety.
You can buy Prevagen from their Official Website. The product can also be ordered from a number of online stores like Amazon, The Vitamin Shoppe, Walgreens, Botanic Choice, iHerb, and Swanson.
The price for a bottle of Prevagen Regular Strength is $39.95, for a bottle of Prevagen Extra Strength is $59.95, and for a bottle of Prevagen Professional Strength is $89.95. If you buy more than one bottle, the price will also increase accordingly.
According to Quincy Bioscience, Prevagen’s formula was specially designed and built to support healthy brain function, sharper mind, and clearer thinking. Furthermore, the company claims that Prevagen will improve certain aspects of cognitive function over 90 days. This formula may be a good option for mild problems, expressly ones due to aging. It may be fitting for adults who want to improve short-term memory and overall brain health.
Quincy Bioscience claims that this patented formula is based on more than 15 years of research and is clinically shown to help you think more clearly, sharpen your mind, and improve memory.
Quincy Bioscience suggests always seeking the advice of your healthcare provider or pharmacist prior to combining any supplement with prescription medication.
Yes, you can combine Prevagen with other supplements. According to the company, Prevagen’s key ingredient apoaequorin will not produce any negative interactions with other dietary supplements.
No, Prevagen is not recommended for children.
Apoaequorin is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth appropriately. However, Prevagen also includes a number of inactive ingredients. Read more about the Clean Label Initiative here.
Choosing the right product is the #1 question asked by BrainReference readers. We recommend reading our Prevagen review in full as well as researching more into what other Prevagen users have experienced with the product.
If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your medical doctor before taking Prevagen or any other dietary supplement.
For best results take one capsule daily, in the morning, with or without food.
You can contact Prevagen’s customer support by either using the contact form available here or by calling at 877-977-3824 (service hours: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday CST).
In order to return the product and get your refund, you need to follow the steps below:
1) Make sure you’ve purchased a Prevagen branded product from an authorized reseller.
2) Save the original receipt and the original bottle(s) with any unused product.
3) Call Quincy Bioscience’ customer support at 877-977-3824 for assistance in processing your return.
You will either be instructed to return the product to your original place of purchase or it will be processed directly through the agent you speak with on your call.
The most common Prevagen complaints, based on published customer reviews, include: the lack of results, it’s too expensive, and the fact that the company did not disclosed all the information on their product.
Prevagen reviews on Amazon, as of March 2019, are mixed, but the number of reviews are limited. Of the 160 reviews, here’s how the brain supplement ranks. 5-star: 26%, 4-star: 14%, 3-star: 7%, 2-star: 7%, 1-star: 46%.
Quincy Bioscience is the company behind this brain supplement.
- “Apoaequorin” - webmd.com. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- O. Shimomura - “A Short Story of Aequorin.” Published August, 1995. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Kenneth C. Lerner, Quincy Bioscience, LLC - “Madison Memory Study - A Randomized, Double-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Trial of Apoaequorin in Community-Dwelling, Older Adults.” Study dates: December 3, 2009 to April 13, 2011. Report date: August 1, 2016.
- Moran DL, Marone PA, Bauter MR, Soni MG. - “Safety assessment of Apoaequorin, a protein preparation: subchronic toxicity study in rats.” Published online March 5, 2013. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Moran DL, Tetteh AO, Goodman RE, Underwood MY. - “Safety assessment of the calcium-binding protein, apoaequorin, expressed by Escherichia coli.” Published online April 24, 2014. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Mark R. Bauter and Odete Mendes - “Subchronic toxicity of lyophilized apoaequorin protein powder in Sprague-Dawley rats.” Published February 7, 2018. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- “Apoaequorin - Uses and Effectiveness” - webmd.com. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Moran DL, Underwood MY, Gabourie TA, Lerner KC - “Effects of a Supplement Containing Apoaequorin on Verbal Learning in Older Adults in the Community.” Published online in 2016. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- “Apoaequorin - Side Effects” - webmd.com. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Kevin Lomangino - “Company pitches memory supplement via spring training giveaways — here’s why we’re not swinging.” Published online March 6, 2018. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- Public Health Service Food and Drug Administration - “Quincy Bioscience Manufacturing Inc. 10/16/12.” Published on October 16, 2012. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- “Prevagen Review – Synthetic Jellyfish Protein for Memory & Glowing in the Dark” - nootropicgeek.com. Retrieved February 28, 2019.
- John Swartzberg, M.D. - “A Memory Supplement to Forget.” for Berkeley University of California. Originally published January 2017. Updated October 2017. Retrieved February 28, 2019.