BrainReference is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
We aim to provide consumers with helpful, in-depth information about brain health products. Whether we make money or not on a certain page does not influence the core mission of our writers and medical reviewers, which is to publish content that is accurate and informative.
All product names, logos, and brands are the property of their respective owners.
For more information, see our full Advertising Disclosure
Mind-Max Review – 12 Things You Need to Know
Mind-Max is a herbal dietary supplement for memory, clarity, energy, and focus. Nature’s Sunshine produces the supplement, a well-known American brand specialized in researching, producing, and selling all-natural, herb-based supplements.
1) What is Mind-Max?
Mind-Max offers a relatively simple formulation based on a 1,100 mg proprietary blend consisting of Magnesium L-Threonate (highly absorbable magnesium) and three popular herbal extracts – Gotu Kola, Ginkgo Biloba, and Bacopa Monnieri.
According to Nature’s Sunshine, Mind-Max is formulated to improve concentration, attention, focus, memory, while also supporting a healthy brain, better cognitive function, and blood and oxygen circulation to the brain.
2) The Company Behind Mind-Max
Nature’s Sunshine is a well-known American brand that operates as a multi-level marketer (MLM) of dietary supplements. Their products include multivitamins, minerals, herbal blends, and several personal care products. The business was founded in 1972 by Gene and Kristine Hughes.
Nature’s Sunshine’s products are generally sold by independent distributors who earn commissions based upon the sales of any distributors they may have recruited and additional fees based on sign-up bonuses and their sales.
Some of its best-selling supplements include Nutri-Calm, HistaBlock, Chlorophyll Liquid ES, AnxiousLess, Stress-J, and Mind-Max.
How to contact Nature’s Sunshine:
- Website: naturessunshine.com
- Address: 2901 W Blue Grass Blvd., Lehi, UT 84043
- Phone: 1 (800) 223-8225 Monday-Friday: 6:00 AM to 6:30 PM MST
3) Mind-Max Ingredients
Mind-Max includes the following active ingredients:
- Mind-Max Proprietary Blend [Gotu Kola aerial parts (Centella Asiatica), Magnesium L-Threonate (Magtein), Bacopa Monnieri (leaf) extract, and Ginkgo Biloba (leaf) extract] 1,100 mg
- Magnesium 70 mg
Other ingredients include water, gelatin, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), and cellulose (plant).
4) Does Mind-Max Work?
In this next part of our Mind-Max review, we will discuss some of the core ingredients in the formulation, analyzing how these ingredients can benefit your cognitive health.
Magnesium is a mineral found in the earth, sea, plants, animals, and humans. It’s involved in over 600 reactions in your body, including:
- Protein formation – Helps create new proteins from amino acids
- Energy creation – Helps convert food into energy
- Muscle movements – It is part of the contraction and relaxation of muscles
- Gene maintenance – Helps create and repair RNA and DNA
- Nervous system regulation – Helps regulate neurotransmitters, which send messages throughout your brain and nervous system
Furthermore, research suggests that low Magnesium levels may be associated with certain conditions, such as heart disease, mood disorders, migraines, and type 2 diabetes.
Even though people can easily get magnesium from many whole foods like seeds, legumes, green leafy vegetables, and nuts, studies suggest that about 50% of people in the United States and Europe get less than the recommended daily amount of magnesium.
Ginkgo Biloba health benefits are thought to come from its high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
However, while Ginkgo Biloba’s seeds are frequently used for healing purposes in Traditional Chinese Medicine, most dietary supplements today use extracts of the plant’s leaves.
Furthermore, some evidence suggests that taking Ginkgo Biloba before a stressful or demanding task may reduce stress-related high blood pressure and decrease cortisol levels.
Bacopa Monnieri (also known as Brahmi) is promoted as a potential treatment for anxiety, memory disorders, attention, focus, stress, epilepsy, and thyroid conditions. Yet, most of these claimed benefits are supported by scientific evidence.
On the other hand, according to ancient Ayurveda views, Bacopa has potent intellect-enhancing properties. This belief is most likely correlated to today’s idea of Bacopa as a powerful nootropic ingredient that may improve nervous system function and promote a healthy brain.
Bacopa contains bacosides, which may inhibit inflammation in the brain and support brain chemicals’ communication associated with learning, cognition, and memory.
In a 3-month study, 46 healthy adults received daily doses of 300 mg of Bacopa Monnieri. At the end of the study, all 46 reported notable improvements in the learning rate, memory, and speed of processing visual information, compared with another group that received a placebo.
In another clinical study, 60 college students received a similar 300 mg dose of Bacopa Monnieri over six months. At the end of the study, scientists observed marginal improvements in critical thinking, cognitive function, and information processing.
5) Mind-Max Health Benefits
Mind-Max claimed benefits include:
- Supports proper brain function
- Promotes concentration
- Supports memory
- All-natural formulation
6) Mind-Max Side Effects
Giving the ingredients available in Mind-Max, some individuals may experience mild to moderate adverse effects, typically due to their bodies adjusting to the supplement.
- Loss of appetite
- Dry mouth
- Stomach cramps
- Muscle tension
- High blood pressure
It is also worth noting that Mind-Max contains herbal ingredients (Bacopa Monnieri, Ginkgo Biloba, and Gotu Kola). The available research suggests that herbal extracts are more likely to cause adverse effects and negative interactions with specific prescriptions when continuously taken for more than 30 days.
Therefore, we recommend cycling the supplement regularly, taking one week off every three weeks as a minimum. Longer breaks are advised after repeated cycles.
7) Mind-Max Product Warnings
Pregnant women shouldn’t take Bacopa since there are no studies about safe use in pregnancy.
Mind-Max also contains Ginkgo Biloba extract, which may interact with medication, including:
- Medications that slow blood clotting (Anticoagulant / Antiplatelet drugs);
- Alprazolam (Xanax);
- Medications for diabetes (Antidiabetes drugs);
- Medications used to prevent seizures (Anticonvulsants);
- Trazodone (Desyrel);
- Efavirenz (Sustiva);
- Buspirone (BuSpar);
- Fluoxetine (Prozac);
- Warfarin (Coumadin).
8) Where to Buy Mind-Max?
You can purchase Mind-Max online from the official Nature’s Sunshine store or several online retailers such as eBay, Walmart, and Amazon.
9) How Much Does Mind-Max Cost?
Mind-Max is a relatively expensive herbal supplement, when compared to other similar products. A 90 capsules bottle costs about $47.00, but discounts are available online.
For instance, ordering directly from Nature’s Sunshine store via their autoship program will make you eligible for free shipping and up to 25% off.
10) How to Take Mind-Max
Mind-Max recommended dose is six capsules daily – three capsules in the morning before breakfast and another three in the evening before bed.
As always, we strongly recommend reading and understanding the label before taking any dietary supplements or medications.
11) What Users Are Saying
"I'm a mom of three, work full time in a mentally taxing career, and I am in my last year as a Ph.D. student. Before taking Mind-Max, I had an issue with recall people, places, etc. I thought I was going through early Alzheimer's. It's been over a month, and I can tell the difference. It wasn't an immediate switch; however, I, as well as my classmates, have begun to notice the difference." [Read full review]
"This supplement did work for me; mostly since it has Bacopa leaf extract in it, it gave me a brain boost while I was taking it." [Read full review]
"I began taking the prescribed dose on the bottle, and after 3 or 4 days, I experienced a "clearness" in my memory. It also helped in my remembering words in my daily speech that had eluded me." [Read full review]
12) The Bottom Line – “Does it Work?”
Nature’s Sunshine introduced the original Mind-Max formula in 1994, and it was a pretty popular supplement at that time. A decade later, the company released a more potent version of the original formula, including a highly absorbable magnesium form (L-Threonate).
While a good decision, the improved formula also came with a much higher price per serving, which deterred many potential customers from even trying the new product.
But overall, Mind-Max is one of the better herbal supplements for focus, attention, memory, and overall cognitive function available.
The formula offers a good amount of each of the four critical ingredients per serving, which is more we can say about most cheaper alternatives out there.
Still, because it contains herbal extracts, we recommend cycling the supplement regularly, taking one week off every three weeks as a minimum.If you're looking to create brain health and wellness, try a supplement that promotes calm and focus; made with the highest-grade ingredients without costing a fortune.
An excellent brain supplement for calm and focus is HCF® Happy, Calm & Focused. Starting in 2001 and 45 countries worldwide, the company has been dedicated to only the foundational building blocks of life; amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, unlike the artificially stimulating/inhibiting herbal ingredients or the common high-dose 'all-in-one' products found on the market today for attention challenges.
|Mind-Max Customers Also Bought:||
10+ Yrs Proven
|HCF Happy, Calm & Focused
Mind-Max Questions & Answers
Mind-Max includes the following active ingredients: Mind-Max Proprietary Blend [Gotu Kola aerial parts (Centella Asiatica), Magnesium L-Threonate (Magtein), Bacopa Monnieri (leaf) extract, and Ginkgo Biloba (leaf) extract] and magnesium.
Mind-Max is advertised as an herbal dietary supplement for memory, clarity, energy, and focus.
Mind-Max side effects may include loss of appetite, dizziness, high blood pressure, nausea, dry mouth, bloating, headaches, sweating, irritability, weakness, fatigue, drowsiness, muscle tension, and stomach cramps.
Mind-Max can be purchased from the official Nature's Sunshine store or various online retailers such as Amazon, Walmart, or eBay.
A 90-capsule bottle of Mind-Max is priced at $47.30.
Mind-Max herbal supplement is designed to improve concentration, attention, focus, memory, while also supporting a healthy brain, better cognitive function, and blood and oxygen circulation to the brain.
We advise consulting a healthcare provider before taking any dietary supplements if you have a known medical condition or are under treatment with prescription medication.
Nature's Sunshine Mind-Max is not intended for children or teenagers under 18.
Nature's Sunshine's formula is all-natural, and it doesn't contain any potentially dangerous, toxic, or banned ingredients.
Mind-Max brain supplement is intended for people seeking a natural supplement for mood, focus, stress, attention, and memory.
Mind-Max recommended dose is six capsules daily - three capsules in the morning before breakfast and another three in the evening before bed.
You can contact Nature's Sunshine's customer support department by phone at 1 (800) 223-8225 or using the contact form on the company's website.
If you are not completely satisfied, you may return the unused portion of a product for a full refund. Call Nature's Sunshine's customer support to set up your return shipment to return such or any damaged products.
Most buyers are happy with the Mind-Max brain supplement. Still, some users complained about the supplement being too expensive for what it offers.
Mind-Max is made by Nature's Sunshine.
- Nature's Sunshine's official website. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Gerry K. Schwalfenberg and Stephen J. Genuis - The Importance of Magnesium in Clinical Healthcare. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Uwe Gröber, Joachim Schmidt, and Klaus Kisters - Magnesium in Prevention and Therapy. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Lei Guo, Zhen Ren, Nan Mei, Daisuke Kobayashi, Xiaoqing Guo, and Keiji Wada - Review of Ginkgo biloba-induced toxicity, from experimental studies to human case reports. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- W. D. Crews Jr. and J. A. Mix - An examination of the efficacy of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb761 on the neuropsychologic functioning of cognitively intact older adults. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- R. Kaschel - Specific memory effects of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 in healthy middle-aged volunteers. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- R. Duncko, D. Jezova, M. Lassanova, F. Moncek, and M. Kriska - Reduction of rise in blood pressure and cortisol release during stress by Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) in healthy volunteers. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- A. Russo and F. Borrelli - Bacopa monniera, a reputed nootropic plant: an overview. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Tamara Simpson, Matthew Pase, and Con Stough - Bacopa monnieri as an Antioxidant Therapy to Reduce Oxidative Stress in the Aging Brain. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- J. Lloyd, C. Stough, J. Clarke, P. J. Nathan, L. A. Downey, T. Rodgers, and C. W. Hutchison - The chronic effects of an extract of Bacopa monniera (Brahmi) on cognitive function in healthy human subjects. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- L. G. Abichandani, G. Venkat Ramana, Navneet Kumar, K. J. Gharpure, Vijay Thawani, and M. U. R. Naidu - Efficacy of Standardized Extract of Bacopa monnieri (Bacognize®) on Cognitive Functions of Medical Students: A Six-Week, Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Bacopa - webmd.com. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Ginkgo Biloba - rxlist.com. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Gotu Kola - rxlist.com. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Magnesium - National Institutes of Health (NIH). Retrieved on July 8, 2021.
- Ginkgo Biloba - webmd.com. Retrieved on July 8, 2021.