HCF Happy, Calm & Focused is, once again our top amino acid brain supplement pick for the 5th year in a row. Although not a real shocker for all you overly informed consumers who keep up on all the do’s and don’ts of the different fad products that come and go each year. HCF seems to continue its strong consumer following year after year and we would have to be foolish if we did not listen to your feedback.
What Is HCF Happy, Calm & Focused?
So here’s the HCF Happy, Calm & Focused breakdown and a few of the criteria that seem to make it popular.
1) Solid science on it’s 90/10 Amino Acid Formulation – Unlike the typical high-dose “fifty-ingredients-in-one” glorified multivitamins or herbal “artificial stimulate or inhibit” brain supplements that come and go, HCF’s 90/10 formulation (90% FQ amino acids with a solid 10% delivery system) has proven itself to support BBB (Blood Brain Barrier) penetration and naturally feed key “feel good” neurotransmitters and the Hypothalamus (balancing your entire Endocrine System);
2) Proven track record. We have a great deal of respect for companies that stand the test of time, HCF AminoScience has been in business for over ten years. In those many years of business, the feedback has been impressive – 800+ third-party Amazon Reviews are very convincing especially since these are actual “real reviews” and not the thousands of fake reviews we were seeing on Amazon. (Amazon has cracked down on fake reviews in within the last year and they now enforce a stricter review policy). But we have always hated fake reviews, so with companies that have been around awhile, we have made a point of investigating the back history on every Amazon account (up to 2/23/2016) which left an HCF review and many are not just uninformed customers, the company’s record was flawless, only verified purchases and samples that company sent out to many of the toughest health critics.
3) Additionally, not only has our site received scores of positive feedback over the years (as shown below), but the HCF AminoScience company itself has collected over 100+ IP documented experiences from professionals around the world on their own website as a strong record of product effectiveness.
How Does HCF Happy, Calm & Focused Work?
HCF explains the short answer is that most brain supplements and memory nutrients work very similar to multivitamins in an “all-in-one” approach or like a drug (natural herbs) that either stimulates or inhibits your neurotransmitters into feeling something. Let’s face it.. most people want instant gratification. But HCF takes more of a long view approach (although a large % report results in 24-48 hours) in terms of naturally feeding the brain the FQ amino acids that any science book will tell you your brain needs to have on a daily basis.
HCF’s FQ (F = DL-Phenylalanine, Q = L-Glutamine, pronounced: “D-L-FEN-L-AL-UH-NEEN” & “L-GLOO-TUH-MEEN”) are two powerful, key amino acids found in whole-food proteins like fish, milk, cheese, and turkey. These two amino acids, FQ work by naturally supporting the increase of the “feel good” neurotransmitter levels responsible for helping you feel happy, calm, and focused every single day.
It’s been said by a well-respected neuro-scientist that “based on the modern-day stressed out life which most people live and their bodies face every single day; (replace semicolon with a coma) we would have to consume up to approximately 16 lbs. of fish, 2 lbs. of cheese, 2 gallons of milk, 2 lbs of turkey each and every stressed filled day, just to keep our brain neurotransmitter levels normal.” Now if that is the case…it makes for a convincing argument for FQ in our diet every day.
To demonstrate the role of phenylalanine in attention and cognitive recognition, we took a look at one clinical study, where urinary excretion (24-hr) of beta-phenylethylamine (PEA), phenylacetic acid (PAA), phenylalanine (Phe), and p-tyrosine (Tyr), and plasma levels of PAA, Phe, and Tyr were examined in 18 normal children and 26 children diagnosed as having attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). The results indicated that urinary excretion (expressed per g of creatinine) of free and total PEA was significantly lower in the ADHD patients, and plasma levels of Phe and Tyr were also decreased in the ADHD subjects compared with the normal controls. In another example, we noted a study that examined the effects of tyrosine ingestion on performance during both a Multiple Task and a Simple Task battery (phenylalanine is the precursor to tyrosine). The results indicated that tyrosine may sustain working memory when competing requirements to perform other tasks simultaneously degrade performance, and that supplemental tyrosine may be appropriate for maintaining performance when mild to severe decrements are anticipated. These are just a couple examples of the many scientific studies conducted, showing the role FQ plays on cognitive function.
HCF Happy, Calm & Focused Ingredients
HCF Happy, Calm & Focused works on a 90/10 formulation (90% FQ amino acids with a solid 10% associated neuro-nutrient delivery system) and the similarity of the formula to whole food proteins seems to contribute to its effectiveness. Many brain supplements we review will often try to load up their ingredient list with whatever exotic-sounding, “media hype” ingredient is on TV, or will somehow help them pre-sell the product even at the expense of creating an ineffective formulation. But through the years, The HCF Company’s no compromise on their manufacturing principles, history and even their track record of standing behind the product has always impressed us and others in the industry. HCF’s ingredients include two parts:
Part 1) Two Key Amino Acids (90% Avg of Formulation)
Amino Acid F: DL-Phenylalanine (pronounced: “D-L-FEN-L-AL-UH-NEEN”)
A) Essential (only comes from outside food) amino acid of tremendous nutritional importance.
B) The known nutritional precursor to the neurotransmitters dopamine, norepinephrine (noradrenaline), epinephrine (adrenaline) and involved in the release of PEA, phenylethylamine which can sensitize endorphin receptors to endorphins.
C) These neurotransmitters strongly support warm feelings of love, pleasure, happiness, alertness, energy, motivation, memory, attention, internal calmness, and sleep to name just a few.
Amino Acid Q: L-Glutamine (pronounced: “L-GLOO-TUH-MEEN”)
A) Conditional (only sometimes produced by the body) amino acid.
B) A major precursor for the neurotransmitter GABA, or gamma-aminobutyric acid.
C) Helps the mind relax and “tone down” unwanted “mind chatter” which can sharpen a person’s ability to focus and concentrate with more clarity.
Part 2) Associated Neuro-Nutrients (10% Avg of Formulation)
A) Balanced HCF delivery system – Concept is that these precise levels of synergistic vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients ? support these two key amino acids to pass through the BBB (Blood Brain Barrier) and nutritionally feed the brain.
B) List: Vitamin A (as beta-carotene), Vitamin E (as d-alpha-tocopherol succinate), Vitamin B1 (as thiamine HCL), Vitamin B2 (as riboflavin), Vitamin B3 (as niacin & niacinamide), Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCL), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin), Biotin, Vitamin B5 (as d-calcium pantothenate), Calcium (as calcium citrate), Iron (as ferrous fumarate), Magnesium (as magnesium oxide), Zinc (as zinc citrate & zinc picolinate), Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate).
Over the years, we’ve also learned a great deal from your consumer feedback, including; A) importance of taking HCF Happy, Calm & Focused on an empty stomach with only water so that the formulation is not altered in the bloodstream and thus able to pass through the BBB (blood brain barrier); and B) the reported hormonal balancing benefits as “F” (DL-Phenylalanine) is the only amino acid that actually feeds your Hypothalamus which is the ‘master over your entire hormonal system (Endocrine System).’
Additionally, not only has our site here been bombarded by HCF feedback, but the company itself has collected over 100+ documented experiences from professionals from around the world that is quite unique in this industry. Not quite the “product owners friends and family fake testimonials” that we see all too common when reviewing products/companies here. But when we see The HCF Company go to lengthy measures to gather feedback on their form with full tracking (attached profile images, documented, time-stamped with IP address and kept on file for 3rd party verification) and then displaying the 100+ professionals it’s worth our respect.
- 90/10 formulation (90% FQ amino acids with a solid 10% associated neuro-nutrient delivery system) which has proven itself over the test of time to a large % of consumers based on their feedback.
- Formulated and manufactured in an FDA inspected facility in the USA, that meets the strictest Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) standards, as outlined by the FDA, have been used in manufacturing this supplement.
- Official product website makes no use of outrageous brain supplement claims, phony testimonial pictures or unsubstantiated claims.
- No compromise on manufacturing principles or track record of standing behind their products.
- Simple formula with only proven FQ amino acids and associated neuro-nutrients. Not cluttered with useless “media hype” fillers.
- Very reasonable shipping costs and delivery times, domestically and abroad.
- Online customer account access for managing orders and payment information.
- If you are pregnant, nursing, or taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAO), consult a physician before taking this product.
- Free shipping is not available internationally but they do ship internationally (seems you can also speak to a customer consultant at USA & Canada Toll-Free: 1-800-HCFCOMPANY (423-2667), United Kingdom +44-20-3582-7192 x 1, Australia +61-03-9008-4237 x 1, New Zealand +64-03-974-4538 x 1, Rest of the World +01-305-306-1603).
Well, choosing HCF Happy, Calm & Focused as our top brain supplement again for the 5th straight year is no accident. Nor is our nomination committee’s excitement, about the quality and effectiveness of this brain supplement. This may be a good time to stop and remind our readers that we are affiliates of 1000s of products on our site by using our links we earn a commission to support our research, no matter the product you choose (so please use our links). Our integrity is important to us and it’s precisely how we evaluate brain supplements in this industry. With that said, we can say with confidence, and without bias, that HCF Happy, Calm & Focused has consistently surpassed our expectations and really stands out against competitors in the amino acid brain supplement category of supplementation.
HCF has consistently stood out based upon 1) bottom line results – shown through consumer feedback everywhere, 2) common sense formulation approach – opening up any science book and it stating your brain’s neurotransmitters and Hypothalamus need FQ amino acids every day is pretty self-explanatory, you don’t need to be neuroscientist to figure it out; 3) easy to order, inexpensive shipping, and quick delivery – worldwide, and the nomination case becomes very strong for those who understand this industry. Additionally, HCF seems to have first-class customer support. All of our calls to their customer consultants went through quickly, compared to 20+ minute hold times we experienced with other product’s support lines. The $5.95 that you spend on shipping gets you a professionally mailed and packaged product; it’s affordable and costs about the same as a latte-a-day habit. We tried three sample orders before writing this review and, two times, it took three business days (during the work-week) and one time it took five business days (order placed over the weekend) to get to our office. For now, we don’t know of any other supplement capable of competing with HCF Happy, Calm & Focused on all of these levels. Will that always be the case? Probably not, but their track record is getting longer each year.